MATCHA MACARONS WITH LEMON BUTTERCREAM
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ready Time: 1 hour
Recommended Matcha Grade: 1) Culinary Grade 2) Premium Grade
INGREDIENTS:MATCHA MACARON SHELLS
- 55g egg white
- 3g egg white powder
- 45g caster sugar
- 70g almond flour
- 80g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
PREPARATION OF MATCHA MACARON SHELLS
1. Preheat the oven for 30 minutes at 170 degrees Celsius.
2. Sift almond flour and icing sugar together in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk egg whites and egg white powder till soft peaks are formed.
Add the caster sugar and whisk till it turns stiff.
4. To the egg white mixture, fold in dry ingredients in 1/3 portions to combine. Add the
matcha powder, then fold in the mixture more vigorously. Test the consistency from
time to time by lifting a generous dollop of macaron paste and dropping it into the mixing bowl. If the macaron paste does not settle smoothly after 30 seconds, continue folding the paste. If the macaron paste smooths out too quickly, you’ve gone too far.
5. Pipe out the shells onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and leave them to rest
for 25 minutes before baking.
6. When a crust is formed, turn temperature on oven down to 140 degrees Celsius and
bake for 15 minutes, turning the tray halfway through baking.
7. Cool parchment of baked shells on cooling rack. Unmould when the shells are
INGREDIENTS: LEMON BUTTERCREAM
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) superfine sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons
PREPARATION: LEMON BUTTERCREAM
1. Melt butter in a double boiler over low heat.
2. Gradually whisk in sugar, eggs, zest and juice. Continue to whisk until curd is thick enough to hold the whisk’s marks, 6 to 10 minutes.
3. Transfer to a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Assembling the macarons:
1. Spoon the lemon buttercream onto one shell.
2. Sandwich the flat sides, and you’re done!
Filled macarons can be kept in an airtight container wrapped in plastic wrap, chilled for 2 days or frozen for 1 month.